Regular exercise provides many benefits to the human body, such as maintaining heart health, increasing bone density, improving muscle strength and flexibility, and reducing stress levels, which can also help you feel good psychologically. For those who want to exercise at home for a healthy lifestyle, we have compiled various types of exercises that can be easily done at home.
Exercises That Can Be Done at Home
In addition to a healthy diet, regular exercise is also important for a healthy lifestyle. If you want to lose weight, control your weight, or improve your body shape but don't want to go to the gym, you can achieve all of these goals with home exercises.
People who do not want to go to the gym for various reasons can improve their body shape with a home exercise program. However, it is important to choose exercises that are suitable for your lifestyle, fitness level, and goals when determining your exercise program. You can use the time remaining after your daily routine to invest in your health by evaluating the types of exercise you can do at home.
The step exercise, which is effective on cardiovascular health, is one of the exercise types that can be applied anywhere. There is no need for any special equipment to perform step exercises. It is beneficial to only choose walking and sports shoes. You can do the step exercise as follows:
• Stand in place and lift your knees up and down as if you were climbing stairs.
• You can also strengthen your arm muscles by doing this exercise with weights.
Including the step exercise in your regular exercise program can help develop your leg and arm muscles.
The squat exercise, which is often preferred to develop muscles or increase athletic performance, is highly effective in strengthening leg, hip, and core muscles. Regularly doing this exercise while leaning against a wall or doing it quickly can strengthen important muscles. You can perform the squat exercise as follows:
• Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and slightly turn your toes outward.
• Extend your arms forward or clasp your hands in front of your chest. Maintain this position during the squat movement.
• Inhale and push your hips back, starting the squat movement by bending your knees. When squatting, take a position like squatting by pushing your hips back.
• Bend your knees and slowly lower your body down, making sure your back is straight.
• Try not to push your knees forward while bending them. When standing up, slowly rise without pushing your knees forward.
The plank exercise is one of the preferred types of exercises for strengthening the core muscles. You can follow the steps below to do the plank exercise:
• Lie face down on a flat surface and place your elbows at shoulder height.
• Place your toes on the ground and lift your body to the plank position.
• Make sure your body is in a straight line. Keep your hips from lifting or lowering down and position your back parallel to the ground.
• Tighten your abdominal muscles and breathe to maintain the plank position.
Crunch exercise is an ideal exercise for strengthening your abdominal muscles and is among the types of exercises that you can do anywhere. To do a crunch exercise at home, you can follow these steps:
• Lie flat on a surface with your back against the ground and slightly bend your knees.
• Place your feet flat on the ground and place your hands behind your head or on your chest.
• Tighten your abdominal muscles, keep your shoulders fixed on the ground, and lift your head.
• Then, slowly raise your upper body using your abdominal muscles. Breathe in while doing this movement.
• At the highest point, squeeze your abdominal muscles and hold for a few seconds.
• While returning to the starting position, exhale. However, raise your upper body again before completely touching the ground.
Kickback exercise is a movement that you need to include in your exercise program to develop your hip and leg muscles. You can follow these steps to do the kickback exercise:
• Lie face down on the ground and spread your legs hip-width apart. Then, lift your body on your knees and hands.
• Raise one leg slowly, slightly bending your knee, and push your heel towards the ceiling. Squeeze your hips during this movement.
• Hold at the top position for a few seconds, then return to the starting position.
• Repeat the same movement for the other leg.